Saturday, June 28, 2008

Glitter and Doom

Just got back from STL (St. Louis)--I love that city. So many neat little areas all around the city. Distinct but harmonious. There's the Italian section, the German, Dutch, Serbo-Croatian, Vietnamese and Thai. Each with their own little neighborhood and restaurants and markets. I should move there.
Anyway.
I went to see Tom Waits in concert at the Fox Theater. Now, it just so happens that my bitch ex is also a big Tom Waits fan and a fan of a certain Vietnamese restaurant just down the street from the venue. However, I wasn't going to let that ruin a night of good food and good music. At the risk of running into her at one or both locations I went anyway. Totally worth it. The food was delicious and everything that I remembered.

As for Tom Waits? Awesome! What a performance. Imagine a carnival barker, a train hopping hobo, and an eccentric hermit all rolled up into one person with a talent for music equivalent to a Van Gogh or a Picasso. Now have that person attack the music with chains and a hacksaw. That's a pretty good starting point for Tom. I wax poetic but, I'm a fan and that's just my opinion. Here's a nice little video another fan did for one of his songs (one of my favorite songs I might add). I'd call it a good Tom Waits starter.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

That's a great video. I forgot how much I liked that song.